an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

San Gimignano and Siena

Following my last post, we headed into Florence. Klay gave us a ride down the hill to the 27 bus stop and we were off. The bus routes have changes some in the last 14 years but once on the ground, we were able to find our way easily. There were a number of things on our list of "must sees" for Ian. The Ponte Vecchio was at the top but Ian was disappointed that all the shops only sold junk. The bridge is the home of very exclusive jewelry shops and just one or two of those pieces of "junk" would finance our future.

There is a wonderful Christmas market in the Piazza Santa Croce. It was strange to see a huge booth of English bone china for prices better than you can get them in London. It was strange to see Florence with so few people. My experience has been in the Summer.

Yesterday, Kyle took us to San Gimignano and Siena. There were few people there as well, but many of the shops were closed. Some for the month of December but many until April. It was wonderful wandering the silent street. Of course I took a million photos but have no way to post any now. That will come later. Ian loved it, especially when we climbed the tower. Yes, you heard me correctly. Keri also climbed the tower. I told Kyle that it was not much higher than our flat in London. The view was breathtaking. Keri was so enthralled that the height did not seem to bother her. The Cathedral was also beautiful and easy to see without the crowds. They are charging for entry now and allow no photographs, a change from our last visit. I am glad they are trying to protect it. Keri bought some pottery and had it shipped. I am glad because there is not room for another matchbook in our luggage.

Siena was the same as far as crowds are concerned, but more was open. Kyle took us to areas we had never seen before and of course we had to purchase some panforte. I never knew there very different kinds. We tried the traditional and the cinnamon. As it was getting dark, we headed back to Florence. It had been a wonderful day out. It was nice of Kyle to take us. He said he needed to get a few things there before he returned to the States and we were asking him about the bus routes. We probable would not have been able to see both without him. Thanks, Kyle!

We returned to the Villa and put together a wonderful supper of odds and ends from everyones day. Clay and Lisa Bartee, Kyle Thompson and Ashley (a friend from a international study program in Florence who attends the Florence congregation) and Keri, Ian and I. We ate and talked and laughed. We then went and sat before a fire in the fireplace and listened to Christmas music and continued to talk and laugh. It really was a magical evening.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

OH MAN! I wish I had known you were going to Sienna! I love that fresh panforte there...you can get it here at the World Market prepackaged, but nothing beats the fresh from Sienna!

I am so glad that you are getting to visit these special places in Italy. Tim has a beautiful painting of SanGamangio (SP?) and Pontevechco (SP?). I told him if he'd bought me one of those "useless pieces of junk" on the bridge I'd probably like that painting better...

8:30 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, how wonderful! I love reading of all your fun adventures. Tell Ian that he can bring us all back a piece of "junk" we really won't mind at all!!!

8:50 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger BW said...

Gene and I the best day last year in Sienna. And what can you say about San Gimignano expect that it is a wonderful place. But that supper with new friends at the villa and talking in front of the fireplace...it is the most comforting/peaceful thing ever. Enjoy every single minute of it.

9:28 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger BW said...

"EXCEPT that is is a wonderful" I NEED A SECRETARY!!!!!!

9:30 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love florence in december! its perfect.

y'all. one "n". siena.

8:42 PM, December 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home