an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Westminster, The Crypt and Covent Garden

Exam time in London.... We must suffer a little to be able to enjoy this experience. At least that's what I told my students as I gave them the Humanities 270 midterm exam this morning. I haven't graded them yet, but I think they all did well. Immediately following, we headed of to see Westminster Abbey. Unfortunately, we obtained group tickets again. I must admit that I knew better but I've never said that I was the brightest bulb on the string. They insisted that we all stay together and made a big deal if they saw us separated. You can imagine trying to keep 15 college students together as we move someplace as diverse at Westminster Abbey. Fortunately, I'm the only one that had to take the flak and the students enjoyed their tour. My recommendation for future groups is to go through with individual tickets. That way each person could enjoy the Abbey at their own pace, and they could also use the free audio guides they offer "nongroup" viewers. In spite of all, Westminster is a GREAT place to visit. I think all the students were fascinated by all the history housed in this place.

Following the visit to Westminster, Keri, Ian and I walked to St. Martin in the Fields near Trafalgar Square to have lunch at Cafe in the Crypt. This is always one of our favorite places to visit. It has just reopened after extensive expansion. The gift shop and brass rubbing center are in temporary quarters at the rear. Of course, it was not as economical as I remembered but nothing is, so I shouldn't be surprised. In my running account of costs, lunch for the three of us cost £25 ($50). It was an enjoyable lunch. I had a Scotch Egg and salad, always a favorite.

Then we headed for Covent Garden. That is certainly an upscale area and always fun to window shop. Actually, there was a Build-a-Bear Workshop there and Ian wanted something for Leo. After all, he had a kilt from Edinburgh and I thought he could use a t-shirt from London. Obviously, Ian and Keri thought differently and Leo ended up with the pictured English Rugby outfit. It could have been worse. They had a Beefeater outfit. If Leo gets many more things, he will need his own suitcase.

4 Comments:

Blogger BW said...

Cafe in the Crypt. LOVE IT. nuff said.

2:52 PM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love it too.

very funny about leo. he has quite a few hobbies and travels under his belt.

5:14 PM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I love Cafe in the Crypt, too!

Also agree with Reagan...Leo is a well traveled bear!

5:42 PM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Jenn said...

How fun!! I'm glad that Grace and Susie don't have a Leo...we would be out of money by now!! I love Ian's traveling companion and now he is so well dressed!

12:38 PM, October 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home