an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Monday, May 28, 2012

Contradictions

This is a country full of contradictions.  This has been an amazing evening.  Webster and Prince (a friend of one of the students stopped by the Hamby House and led everyone in singing.  There were many beautiful Tonga songs, including some that Webster had taught us.  The thing that amazed me the most was the version of Pachelbel's Canon in D Major with the parts all sung by the students.  I so wish I had had it recorded.  Maybe they will sing it again.  I kept thinking that here I was sitting in the middle of a the Sub-Saharan African bush listening to voices singing Pachelbel's Canon.

The second thing that struck me tonight was to always expect the unexpected.  One of the students purchased this six-pack of Pepsi at the SPAR in Choma.  You can see that the box contained five Mirinda Oranges and one Mirinda grape.  Not a Pepsi in the box, in spite of the statement on the side indicating that the box contained six cans of Pepsi.  Welcome to Zambia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home