an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Harrods Christmas Parade


Early this morning Father Christmas arrived at Harrods Department Store and we were there to greet him. Actually, the annual Christmas Parade at Harrods is one of our favorite events. Unfortunately, we have to leave the flat by 6:30 AM to get there and get a place before the parade begins at 8:30. They have all kinds of entertainment for everyone before the parade begins including the Chipmunks, all varieties of stilt walkers. Harrods staff walks around passing out candy, juice, water, balloons, etc., and there all sorts of animal characters roaming around talking to the kids. Then the snow starts. Harrods guarantees snow on the day of their parade and it always snows. Of course, it is made of foam, but it looks like real snow and it is so fun. The parade only lasts an hour and really only goes for a block or two behind the store but it is always worth getting up early. I experimented uploading another movie, not that it is particularly exciting. I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Following the parade, we headed in to Harrods to spend money. It is as impressive as ever. We discovered that they were introducing several new Beanie Babies and of course we had to get several for gifts. The food court was grand and we each bought a piece of candy (about all we could afford). Keri is going to go back when it is not so crowded, and we have to get Ian in to see Father Christmas. This year you must reserve a time. This certainly eliminated the long ques but makes it a little more difficult for those of us with unpredictable schedules.

Keri and Ian headed home afterwards and I headed back to Portobello Road to get some of Ian's soldiers for a Christmas present. Unfortunately, they had sold the set Ian really wanted last week so we will need to start over. We will definitely find him some before we leave in December.

I walked back along Kensington High Street and stumbled on St. Mary Abbot's (a wonderful little church) with a flower shop. I hope to go back and explore it when I have a chance. I needed to get home (it was supper time and my feet hurt).

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i absolutely love London at Christmas. Harrods is, of course, a must.

5:25 PM, November 03, 2007  
Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I loved seeing Santa in that video! but i guess hey call him Father Christmas there...Anyway...that was really cool!

2:36 PM, November 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home