an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Home at Last

It has been a wonderful two weeks, but I'm glad to be home. We pulled into the driveway around noon today. Friday morning, we headed out to Yorktown so Ian could see the last major battle site of the American Revolution. For those that have been following this blog, it was also where Major Isaac Hite, Jr. helped write the Articles of Capitulation setting the terms of surrender for Lord Cornwallis. It was a fitting end to our Isaac Hite adventures. This took awhile and we arrived back in Williamsburg around lunch. The afternoon was spent driving back down the James River Road to Berkley Plantation, the home of William Henry Harrison, 9th President of the U.S. Ian was assigned Harrison as a school project several years ago and wanted to see his home. I liked this photo of Ian standing at Harrison's Landing looking out over the James River.

We left Richmond area around 6:00 and headed for I81. We made it to Wytheville around 12:00 and collapsed into bed. Early Saturday morning, I got up and wondered to the site where Durham's Restaurant used to be. I had many memories of a dear friend who showed me this area and a trip was not complete without country ham biscuits from Durham's. There is a Rite Aid there now. It just seemed WRONG!

I just thought we were headed for home. We made it to Abingdon and decided to take in the Virginia Highlands Festival. It was the best juried art and craft show that I've ever seen. I also explored the Barter Theatre, a memory from theatre classes. Needless to say we had to spend Saturday night on the road as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home