an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Friday, July 24, 2009

It Has Begun!

There were some frantic moments this morning as we completed the final preparations for the 2009 Triennial Family Reunion. However, there were still a few minutes for additional exploration. Dennis, one of the staff, took us into the attic at Belle Grove which is closed to the public. I had been up there many years ago, and I took my parents up there in the 1980s. I was glad Ian got to go this morning. Many of the original 1790 structural components are visible. There is also a lot of graffiti, including a lot of Civil War names and dates left when the Confederate and Union troops occupied the house. The window pictured here is the point watchmen scanned for signals of approaching troops. Ian was fascinated by all the stories Dennis told us.

Many of the attendees were delayed due to a major auto accident on I81. Many did not even make it in tonight. But the Ice Cream Social went well and the Square Dancing was fun. Most people were not into it, but those who participated had a good time. It was wonderful doing the the 1760 Minuet at Belle Grove Plantation. We have a big day planned for tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home