an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Unexpected Discovery

Today, Keri and I drove to the Hite Family Cemetery at Long Meadow Plantation. The original home was build in the 1730s but burned in the late 1790s. It was replaced in the 1830s with this structure. The original out-buildings are all still standing. The family cemetery was established here and the first burial is documented (but not marked) in 1736. As long as Belle Grove has been taking care of the cemetery, we have assumed that two specific unlabeled but marked graves were linked to two existing stones. Recent study has suggested that the two unlabeled graves are some of the oldest in the cemetery. We are initiating research to determine if the graves are of Jost Hite. It is very exciting for the family (but sounds very boring as I read it).

We are working hard and are starting to get a little tired. But it is still a great experience. Tomorrow, I meet with the Sons of the American Revolution to walk through the wreath-laying ceremony at the cemetery. They are very intense and want everything to be just right. I'm glad. It's that much less I have to worry about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home