an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mancala

Last night, the faculty from the Namwianga schools had a welcome party for us in back of the Hamby house. Ba Leonard made another welcome cake. I am really going to miss him. Today, many of us went back to Choma. Ian wanted the traditional African board game we had seen at the museum there and I said we would get it for him for his birthday. I thought it would be a perfect gift to bring back from Zambia. Ian and I rode with Jeff, Judy, Scott and Janis since there was no room in Khaki Jackie. It was enjoyable to get a new perspective on Africa. Jeff hit some of the “humps” pretty hard and the top of my head is very sore tonight.


Ian and I headed into the market after a brief stop at the post office. Ian charmed the Indian lady at the fabric shop and got two chitenge lengths of fabric for the price of one. I also found a couple to get a shirt made, so I need to head over to see Mrs. Moono. I wanted a good photo of the market but I always feel bad about pulling out my camera. Here is a photo from across the tracks. The market consists of several hundred of these stalls stacked back in this area.


We went to the museum again to get some things and Ian got a drum as well as the Mancala board. We had a nice afternoon and headed back. It is hard to believe that things are winding down. We head for Livingstone on Wednesday to see the lunar eclipse and the lunar rainbow at Victoria Falls and will do our safari in Botswana on Thursday, helicopter ride on Friday, and Rhino walk on Saturday. We will then return to Namwianga on Saturday. We will work back at the Haven to make up for missing Wednesday afternoon, work on Monday and Tuesday, pack and then leave for Lusaka on Wednesday. It is really hard to believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home