an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Your Game, Your Turn

I don't know why I'm interested in travelling. I'm also not sure why I envy Beckie as she explores Italy. I must live for the moment and learn to enjoy the adventures of life in a small town and employment at a place where only one person seems to have a clue what is happening. Case in point! For the last several years we have been hearing that we were moving toward a master's degree in CSD. We even received calls from people who heard it from the mouth of an administrator at a public meeting. Afterwards a committee was formed (note the sequence of events) to investigate the possibility and the committee decided that if we needed to do this, we could move forward. We are now well into this process with an anticipated beginning point of Fall 2008. Of course this is all contingent on our ability to find faculty, our move into larger space, approval of the appropriate HU and ASHA committees and boards, but we are moving forward. This has been announced in many forums (few of them ours) and last week an article came out in the Bison about Harding's new graduate program.

Of course the article was premature. Of course there were several questionable quotes in the article. After all, that happens when people are interviewed but it appeared to be no big deal. WRONG!!! There have now been several administrative emails saying that just because we want to have a graduate degree doesn't mean HU will support it or even approve it. Most of the flack went toward the Bison, but Mike and I got caught in it as well.

Did I miss something here? Did we go asking for this degree? Did we contact the Bison asking them to run this article? I think that members of the administration haven't talked this over and we are getting caught up in it. Oh well, I only have a few more months before I turn all of this over to Beckie. She will do GREAT! and I'm looking forward to the switch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home