an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Departure Looms

Our time here at Namwianga is drawing to a close and we are all feeling a little sad. We conducted our last therapy and "auntie" training sessions today at the Haven and we are saying our goodbyes to the children tomorrow. It will be a day full of tears because we are so attached to these kids. We see such a difference since we arrived and we will miss seeing them everyday. Of course, we are tired and we are ready to see our families and enjoy some of the things we have missed. But we will never be the same. We have all changed. We will never look at the world the same way again. Part of our hearts will always be here in Zambia, the "Real Africa."

Beckie and I finished our class instruction today and we will have our finals tomorrow. As I mentioned in a previous post, I will approach the classes differently next year. I must admit that the teaching has been exhausting, but I think I have learned as much as my students have.

We had an interesting meeting at the immigration office this morning. I will discuss this more at a later date. The power was off for most of the day. It went off around 4:00 and remained off until about 13:00 and then went off again around 18:00 and came back on around 20:00. I took advantage of the power outage and went out to look at the stars of the Southern Hemisphere without any light pollution, not that there is much in this part of Africa. It was absolutely beautiful, something I will always remember.

Saturday morning, we head to Livingstone for several days and a number of adventures. I will post when possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home