an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Monday, June 16, 2014

No Internet

It is now Monday evening and I am in Livingstone. I have not had access to the internet since I left the Protea Tambo in Johannesburg.  I flew to Livingstone, Zambia on Friday and loved the large new airport.  Kara and Chris were waiting for me with the students and we headed out to Kalomo to get visa extensions.  That went really well since the "Dragonlady" has been transferred.  We then headed out to Namwianga.  The road is very rough but I felt like I was headed home.

Pulled up at Hamby House and ended up in my old room.  A bathroom has been added, but it also felt like coming home.  I ran into Robbie, Wester, Ba Leonard, the Indian lady who owns the Mini Mart, the immigration man, etc. and each one asked where Ian was, or where is the boy. Ian was really missed here at Namwianga.  He has really made an impact there.

Saturday we headed to Choma.  It was so much more crowded than it used to be.  It seems that Choma has become the Southern Provience capitol and everyone has moved from Livingstone.  When we returned to the Hamby House, we discovered tha Kel Hamby had died.

Sunday we went to the village of Kisibi for Church.  In addition to the regular service, we had a short service for Kel Hamby.  It was very meaningful to the local congregation and meaningful for me since I sat next to Kel the last time I was there. They are expanding the building and have a covered spot outside.  The little boy in the photo is in deep thought.  The meal, band and village was the same but Ba Leonard has added a porch so that we could watch the dancing.  The experience was great!

Sunday evening services were in Johnson Auditorium.  It was a traditional Zambian service with wonderful singing.  Three girls wanted to be baptized so everyone moved to the backyard of our house, just like when Ian and David were baptized.  It brought back wonderful memories and some bittersweet ones of David.  David is no longer at Namwianga and is in Lusaka.  I pray he is OK there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home