an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Friday, September 22, 2006

To Say Goodbye!

I just received notification that a dear friend has died. Caroline Dunsmore was my supervisor at Alberta Children's Hospital and is the one responsible for my immigration to Calgary, Alberta, Canada (pictured). I usually only talk to her at Christmas and I now regret not calling her more often since I returned to the States. She was always such a strong person. She had polio during her senior year in high school but continued to be very active in music and earned her graduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology in a wheel chair. I have many stories about her but the one I remember the most involves me getting the nerve to tell her that I was returning to the States to teach at Harding. I had already accepted the job and had gone by her office many times to tell her. But I never could and ended up talking about the weather or some other inane topic. Finally I decided that I HAD to tell her so I went to her office, but darted into the side room before I thought she had seen me. Then I heard this voice that said, "Dan, come in and tell me what's wrong before I have a nervous breakdown." I did and she said, "Well that's a relief, for a week now I thought you must be dying." You couldn't pull much over on her. I introduced her to Keri and always wanted her to meet Ian. It proves that you better not wait to do things! She will always be a part of my memories of my Canadian life and I will think of her often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home