an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Portobello Road Market

Today was our first trip to the Portobello Road Market and as we exited the underground, the entire Central Line also got off. It was so crowded. We spent some time at the top in the antique market, but it was too crowded to get much of a photograph. Keri found a couple of pieces of Belleek but they were very expensive, even before considering the exchange rate. As we worked our way down, the crowd lessened and it was a little easier to keep up with each other. Ian found his "soldier" man in the same spot we remembered and spent a good deal of time looking. We will go back many times in the next two months before he decides exactly what he wants.

Portobello Road is always a good place to eat lunch and today was no exception. Keri and I found bratwurst and Ian found a Nutella Crepe. Probably not very healthy, but relatively inexpensive and you should have seen his eyes light up. I say relatively inexpensive because the bratwurst approximately $6 each (considering the exchange) and the crepe cost $7. I decided several days ago that I couldn't think about it to much or I would go crazy. I guess we will just need to live on bread and water for several months after our return to try to deal with our depleted funds.

We just climbed on a bus that we thought was going our way to return to Great Russell Road and prepared to get off the minute it headed the wrong way and it delivered us right back here. I can imagine no other city, even in the States where I would be willing to do that.

I have heard from many of the 2003 HUE group that are following our current adventures. We have a wonderful group and I am loving every minute of it. That said, we also miss being here with you. As Adam said, the flights are low and I will add that we have an extra bed so think about coming to visit us. Everything seems to be the same except the exchange rate so you would feel right at home. Suze asked about many of you individually, even asking about some of you by name. We are only going to be able to use her once because of the exchange rate, but we will figure some way to see her again before we leave.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i absolutely must go to portobello road the minute i get off the airplane!

i'm still trying to talk robbie and mona into visiting at thanksgiving with us, too!

6:05 PM, October 06, 2007  
Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

Nutella Crepe...don't think I've ever had one of those either...I'm just making my life of things I must see and eat the next time I'm in London!

8:40 PM, October 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home