an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Friday, May 28, 2010

Black Mamba


My GBCC class finally met again today. I didn’t even try to take role because I was already behind and needed to get to the subject at hand (Intro. to Communication Disorders). I arrived early and spent around 15 or 20 minutes getting the projector hooked up to my computer as everyone arrived. Then, as class began at 10:00, the power went off. I decided to just wing-it and wrote terms on the board with the chalk we purchased at the little shop. A few people were taking notes, but most just looked bored. However, when I asked for questions, I received some very good ones. I guess it was a success. I meet them again on Tuesday. I am having a hard time getting used to a Tuesday, Thursday and Friday class.

After lunch, we dropped the gang at the Haven and Beckie, Ian, and I headed into Kalomo to mail postcards and to pick up some items at the little shop. We hope to show a movie tonight and wanted some drinks and popcorn. Unfortunately, popcorn is a no-go but we will still have a movie and Coca-Cola. We had an appointment back at the Hamby House at 3:00 so we really had to make tracks. Suddenly, there was a large snake in the road in front of us. It was about 5 feet long and a dark gray color. When startled, it stood up about 18 inches and darted off the road, still in that position. I never got a good look at the open mouth but all other characteristics suggest that this snake was a black mamba. None of the other snakes in our guide matched but the mamba certainly did. I wish I could have seen its mouth, but I was glad I was in the Land Cruiser.

We had our appointment with the director of Seven Fountains about a couple of children. I hope we gave them some helpful advice. Following, we toured the Namwianga Radio Station, the most powerful in Zambia.

Have I mentioned that it is the dry season here in Zambia and the roads are DUSTY!!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I want this to be the one & only sighting of this snake. Tell Ian that Mama says no snake encounters!!!!

9:23 PM, May 28, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home