an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Friday, May 21, 2010

Easy African Day

Today was relatively uneventful. We did teach our first class and Beckie and I spent the whole hour trying to document the Tonga names in phonetics. Probably not very successful, but at least we will be a lot closer when next we meet. We will divide the class on Monday and teach "Intro. to Speech Therapy" and "Language Disorders" classes. I gave Ian the run of the Mission while I was in class and he already seems at home here.

After lunch, we made a run into Kalomo to get some postage stamps ("I'm sorry, we are out. Try again next week."), some chalk and a "dusting board" (eraser) for the class at the little shop run by a lady from India. We also treated ourselves to ice cream. Beckie said that those that run the errands get the treats. Ian and I didn't argue.

When we reached the Haven to pick up all the rest of the group, Ian wanted to go to Eric's House, a place for the older children. I wandered around taking photos of cute kids. Ian immediately made a friend, has a penpal, and plans to go to school with David next week. He and Ian wandered all over the place and I worried, but did not go hunting for him.

We played "Apples to Apples" after supper because the girls said that if Ian ate all of his baked potato, they would play any game Ian wanted to after supper. We may have found a new way to get the kid to eat. Beautiful sunset as I was walking over!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home