an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Sunday, August 01, 2010

What an Experience!!

In spite of my best intentions, I have not posted since the day before all the Scouts arrived. There are many reasons, but the primary one is that there is never a down minute. My shift allowed me to meet the Arkansas Contingent when they arrived at their camp on Monday. Ian had had a great time and was ready to begin the Jambo experience. I discovered that Ian's camp is exactly 3 miles from my area and there is no easy way to get back and forth. Although there is a bus system, it is undependable (time wise) and the 3 miles can be walked faster. Most days, I walk around 9 miles and Ian probably walks a lot more. A couple of times, I have used my staff privileges to go to the front of the bus line and even took Ian to the front once but it still takes less time to walk.

I was on the 3rd shift Friday, so Ian and I spent most of the day together. I really must confess that I thought he wouldn't want me around but he called and asked if I could meet him somewhere. It was one of my best days ever. I just followed him around and shared this amazing experience with him. I also joined him for the big arena show last night. It was great to see it through his eyes. I am very grateful that we could come to this.

I am also grateful that Ian was able to participate in Scouts. I had such dreams that he would receive encouragement at the Academy but that is not happening. However, Scouts is teaching him many great things. There is even a group associated with our belief system here (Members of Churches of Christ for Scouting) that has done more to encourage Ian than anything he received in his 6th grade experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home