an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shopping, Museum and Sunset Cruise

Yesterday was a low key day and I wanted to make the most of it.  After breakfast, I loaded up Khaki Jackie and headed into the central part of Livingstone.  I wanted to hit the curio market to get a few things and then head to the Livingstone Museum.  I have always wanted to go but have never had the time, so thought this would be the morning.  Ian went with me.  It was a great museum.  It had a natural history portion with most Zambian animals, reptiles, fish and birds presented.  The black mamba was about 8 feet long and certainly made you think twice about threatening one.  There was also a David Livingstone section with many of his personal letters and belongings.  That was also very interesting.  A section presented Zambian history since independence and another allowed you to walk through a modern day village.  The village was very interesting, and would be very significant to someone coming to Zambia without the opportunity of spending time in one.


From there, I transported people back from the market to the Shop Rite and then back to the Protea.  A group of us headed down to the Zambezi Sun and the Falls shopping area.  I still think that the men who do the beaded animals there are the best.  Of course they cost a lot more.  The dancers were out to welcome another group and the zebras were herding across the grounds, as if on cue.  Ian hiked around to the curio market and bargained for two large rhinos and got a good deal.  He really amazes me sometimes.  Of course, now I have to figure out how to transport them back home.

Last night we took the sunset cruise on the Lady Livingstone.  This Zambezi cruise departs from the David Livingstone Safari Lodge and is the one we used last year.  Ian's friend, Webster, was the guide again and did a great job.  He really knows all about birds and animals and we saw plenty.  I have never seen the hippos as active as they were last night.  Ian got some great photos.

I had planned to white water raft with everyone today but changed my mind during the night.  I decided I was a little old for that activity.  One of our group had not planned on going, but took my ticket.  I am glad it didn't go to waste.  Ian will tell me all about it tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home