an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Power Problems


Our time here is rapidly drawing to a close.  I am ready to get home and see Keri, but I am not ready to leave Africa.  One of Hemmingway’s quotes about Africa seems appropriate.  “All I wanted to do now was get back to Africa.  We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.”

I worked at The Haven this morning and some of our kiddos are accomplishing what we wanted for them.  I can already sense the students beginning to say “goodbye” and it is very hard.  You see them taking extra photos of their special ones.  I taught class at the college this afternoon.  That is very difficult, but we are just introducing speech-language pathology and audiology to the college students here.

The power was off for most of the day, and it is off again as I type this.  (It is now back on after a total of around 10 hours today.) It is always the perfect time to go out and look at the stars.  They are so totally different here in the Southern Hemisphere.  I am now able to spot the Southern Cross, and the Milky Way looks like you could walk on it.  Some of the students went up on one of the containers to lay down and see them.  I tried to get a photo repeatedly but it is impossible to focus and center in absolute darkness.  The only focused one missed a couple of people.  So sorry.

We have been having a hard time finding diesel and Ellie, Kel, Cheryl and some of the others headed off to Choma because they were supposed to have some.  Ian went with them.  Once again, he had a great adventure, getting back well after dark, unusual for makuas [məˈkuə] (whites).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home