an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, June 19, 2014

"W.T.Zed"

The title of this post is (and always has been a popular statement here in Zambia.  It stands for "welcome to Zambia" and it is used whenever the unexpected happens or some common situation becomes very complicated.  Well, I've handled a couple of those today.  The first began this morning when I started to track down what to do with the bus and land rover when we leave from the airport tomorrow.  While we were still at Namwianga, I asked Emmitt what we needed to do and he said it was all taken care of, so I ceased worrying.  When I asked Kara yesterday, she knew nothing about it so I finally connected with Meagan Hawley who is trying to track thinks down there in Namwianga.

The second big issue was also a shock.  Today is a free day with the students out on adventures and me just tooling around looking and visiting with old acquaintances.  As I cam back into the hotel, the desk attendant asked if we were going to check out today.  When I said that we were leving tomorrow, she seemed distressed.  During our discussion, she produced an email where Beckie booked the rooms with us checking out today.  Fortunately, they were able to extend the rooms until tomorrow and had tried to run it through Beckie's account and only half would go. Fortunately I can run it through my office but there seems to be some massive confusion.  

In the Mukuni Park Curios (main Livingstone Craft Market), things seemed somewhat calmer.  It may be that I was just able to handle it better.  Several people asked for "the boy" and seemed truly disappointed that he didn't come.  At the Falls Park Craft Market, one man even asked for him by name, stating that Ian bought a chess set from him.  I also visited with the man I made a mess of trading with my first year and the lady that was wearing the shirt that Keri designed on one of our subsequent visits.  I think the connection was made today, but there didn't seem to be any hard feelings and they really want Ian to come back and visit them (I'm sure part of that has to do with the kwacha he spent).  The man I always buy from is still there.  I needed nothing today, but he asked about Sara (his American daughter).  I gave him an update, and he seemed pleased.  I told them all about Kel Hamby's death and they were saddened and asked me to pass on to Ms. Hamby that all at the Falls Park Craft Market send their condolences. I will certainly do so.

Tonight we go on the sunset cruise and then fly out tomorrow.  

The sunset cruise on the Lady Livingstone was disappointing.  Ian's friend Webster was still working there and he asked for Ian's Facebook address.  We saw many hippos and the bee eaters, and even a small herd of elephants tossing dust in the air and playing.  The cruise/sunset was also nice, but they oversold the cruise and obviously did not have enough food.  There were five at out table and they brought enough food for three or four, but never five.  They completely ran out of dessert before they reached our table and several others in our group.  It was so disappointing since it was the last event of our trip. It was nice coming back to the lodge with the fire to welcome us to the shore. I think I will recommend discontinuing this event to help reduce costs.  We did the sunset at the Royal Livingstone so I think this can go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home