an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Old and Crotchety!



We managed to sneak off for a day at Silver Dollar City in Branson. We always try to go during Christmas to see all the lights and get away for awhile. It really was a GREAT time together as a family, but Ian had an unfortunate encounter. Ian had saved some coins and found something he wanted to by at Dick's 5 & 10 in old Branson. He was waiting patiently in line when this older couple started trying to crowd him out of their way. I stood back and watched, and when Ian moved toward me for a moment, they crowded into his space. Being the innocent he is, he just gave them a big smile and moved back in front of them. When the clerk started to ring up Ian's item, the woman said that they were next in line and that Ian had broken in. I intervened, just as Ian offered to let them go before him if they were in a hurry. The woman then said that he had stepped out of line and should go to the back and make room for them since they had to hurry and catch a bus. The clerk had witnessed it all and told the couple the bus would wait for them but they were still directing anger at Ian. The next lady in line said to the couple "I certainly hope that when I'm your age I'm a lot less crotchety." Ian couldn't figure out what was happening and why the couple were attacking him, but everyone around assured him that he had done nothing wrong. He held on to my hand the rest of the afternoon. I was proud of how he had reacted and that he had offered to allow the couple to go before him. I just can't understand how someone could be so vindictive toward a nine year old. As they were leaving the store, I said that I hoped the rest of their day certainly improved.

Somebody please make sure you put duct-tape over my mouth before I get that old and crotchety!!

3 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

bless his heart... you are right... Ian handled himself like quite the gentleman and Christian that I know both his parents have taught him to be. my guess is he'll be the one holding the roll of duct tape if he ever sees his daddy getting "out of line" :)

8:45 AM, December 21, 2006  
Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

Hoooray for Ian and his kind heart. That is exactly what Jesus meant whan He said you must be like a little child to enter the kingdom of heaven. I might even use him as an example when I teach in Ghana in February. If only we could all be tht innocent and loving...You are a fine young man, Ian and I can't wait to get an Ian hug! I love you lots and your mom and dad, too!

11:08 AM, December 21, 2006  
Blogger BW said...

Remember that tape recorder that we are going to use when we prop you up in front of your class? I promise that I will make sure that it does NOT have any cranky or crotchety statments on it....I'll bet that woman has as awful Christmas and you and Ian will have a fabulous Christmas!

3:31 PM, December 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home