an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween

I really love Halloween! As I said previously, I have such wonderful memories of childhood Halloweens. We had the freedom of going anywhere around where we lived and all the family friends had special homemade treats for trick-or-treaters. We didn't have to worry about "individually wrapped" treats. We got homemade popcorn balls, fudge, cookies, and candy as well as store bought candy. There was a Halloween Carnival at school with each classroom having a booth. It was great. I have continued to enjoy the holiday. I even remember a haunted house that some of us created in a certain trailer on Old Taylor Road in Oxford, MS. (Reagan, it's an area of condominiums now.) I relived it all last night. We had 59 ghosts and witches, etc. and as I previously mentioned, Keri decorated up the front and the entryway. Even Hattie (our large black cat) kept watch at the door. Seeing the holiday through Ian's eyes made it all come alive again. We even used the new department popcorn popper and had free popcorn for all the students in the Reynolds Center. It was a fun day. We topped it all of with soup and fellowship at some friends house while all the kids played in the playroom.

I feel sorry for those that are so opposed to Halloween that they see evil in all aspects of the event. It must take a lot of work to have that many strong opinions about everything.

3 Comments:

Blogger BW said...

I heard that you have mastered the art of the popcorn popper. Will I have to have lessons when I return?

5:19 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger DCT said...

I told everyone I was looking for a new career and I think I've found it. The only cognitive skills needed are listening for it to stop popping and then turning off the motor and dumping it. I think I have finally found the job I was created for. I'm going to be very protective of the popper. I will share some of my secrets but not all!!!!

9:31 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

i totally know Old Taylor Road b/c it leads to Taylor, MS, home of some pretty fine catfish and dirty rice. i'll be happy to take y'all out there sometime.

10:55 AM, November 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home