an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Larynges & Rantings



One of my loyal readers (1 of 2) has requested a photo of the table of larynx models submitted for my A&P class. These are always so creative and they are such fun to grade. Unfortunately, I do not grade them and get them back as quickly as one of my colleagues would like (and you can see from the photo of the covered conference table that they are in the way). There are usually only 20 students enrolled in this class, but this semester there are 49. Needless to say, 49 larynx models can be a little overwhelming. They also vary in size. The rule is that they must be proportional in size. Following that rule there are some that would work for the Jolly Green Giant and there are some from the Land of Oz. This semester my favorite has to be the one that looks like a Viking helmet. The creator even named it as you can see in the photo.


There is never a dull moment in the CSD hangout (as I'm sure April can remember). Her life is much more interesting in Albertville as her family prepares for life in Togo. I would link to her site but both of my readers are already loyal Emerson readers. Oh well, It would help if I announced my blog, but then I would have the problem Beckie now has, so I guess I will just plod along with two readers (DON'T DESERT ME).

Now on to other things- I went to a meeting this afternoon and listened to Evita talk about how much harder it is to learn Spanish than any other language. HEEELLOOOO!! Has she ever tried to learn any other language? I doubt it. And I also heard a Marcus Welby wanna-be talk about the fact that his was the ONLY legitimate career choice. Pleeeeese save me from these people! Where is Beckie when I need her? Oh, I just remembered, she is off picking grapes and trying to brush off nature. (Both of my readers have already joined me in Italy with her tonight so I guess I can't complain since she will have to return soon enough. So I guess I will go to bed and forget about it.) In the mean time I am so glad that they are where they are that I will go pray for them both and for forgiveness for being so petty.)

5 Comments:

Blogger BW said...

YOU HAVE BLOG!?!?!? I have been so wrapped up in the other dramas of my life that I didn't even notice that you started a blog. I am a horrible, worthless friend and I apologize from the depths of my heart. I have just spent the last twenty minutes catching up on you posts. Some are making me laugh out loud!
I am really laughing at the Mr. Larynx Viking. So funny!
I promise that you now have more than two loyal readers and I will also make comments.
So, tell that Evita to just BACK OFF! Egocentricism is so unattractive.

2:10 AM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

I agree with BW....I'd think that Russian or even German would be much harder to learn than Spanish! What kind of meeting were you at anyway? And if that guy thinks being a doctor is the only important profession, he should move to Ukraine and see just how low on the food chain they are!

Sorry I can't laugh with you about the larynx projects. If Beckie's comment had not been right there I could not even spell it.

I am do glad that you do have blog and that you keep it updated! Now I feel more like a part of your life! And friends need to stay in touch!

10:23 AM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger DCT said...

It was an academic planning meeting for HU. The mentioned person was a PA and not even an MD, which made the comments even harder to take since his program had asked Keri to give the PA students four lectures on blood issues. When she went in to talk with them about what they needed, they worked very hard to point out that she was "not a clinician" and probably wouldn't be able to cover what they needed. She withdrew from two and will teach two. She often does that in the Biology Department. She knows 10 times more about those issues then any of the physicians at her hospital. They come and consuly with her from time to time. Now some young PA faculty at a brand new PA program with a very limited track record tries to make her feel inferior.
Sorry about the tirade! We really are calming down at our house.
I am enjoying the blog. My life has been so complicated for the last two years, this is giving me an outlet. So if a certain PA is reading this, DEAL WITH IT!
There I feel better:)

10:43 AM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

49?! who's idea was it to have 49 students in one class? thanks for the photos...i enjoyed the laughs. ;) and i must insert a comment about languages here: in spanish, you pronouce all the sounds. in french, you leave most of the last ones off....very confusing. however, i must say that your phonetics class has been helpful while i've been in school here. when writing a pronunciation of a word, my teacher writes it in phonetics. and although it's been awhile since i've reviewed my phonetics...it wasn't completely foreign to me. so, i guess a thank you is in order here. thanks! ;)

2:19 PM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger laura said...

oh the days of the larynx... i think i actually wrapped mine that Christmas and gave it to my mom as a joke :) Seriously though... thank you Dr. Tullos (and Becky too!) for all the support and guidance you provide for us as students. As an ASHA certified SLP I am and will always be thankful! We're living and serving in Bolivia right now... and can i just speak to the learning Spanish? It is so NOT the hardest language to learn... at least an "a" always says "a" NOT like English where the same word can be said a million different ways, each changing the meaning. Anyway... enough for the soap box today. God bless you. - Laura Wallace Bull ('00)

7:30 PM, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home