an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Grandparent's Day



Tomorrow is Grandparent's Day at HA and once again I have very mixed emotions. When Ian's grandparents were alive and able to come, it was a wonderful celebration. He got to show them his school and introduce them to everyone. I thought it was one of the most wonderful times. Ian's grandparents were able to come twice and the above photo was taken during one of those visits. However, since my Dad died in 2004 and Keri's Dad died last year and both grandmothers are in poor health, we have been unable to have them come to school with Ian. That makes this a very bittersweet time for Ian and for us. I am so glad we made every effort to keep Ian involved with his grandparents and I am glad they got to come a couple of times. I am sad now that he has none that can come. Tomorrow will be a hard day for him. I went to spend time with him last year and have arranged to do the same tomorrow. I know of several parents that are pulling their children out tomorrow. It is hard to know what to do. I plan to approach this as a time to remember whet wonderful grandfathers he had and what wonderful grandmothers he still has, even if they can't get around as well. If I could take the entire day off we would go and let him spend time with one of his grandmothers but I need to teach my classes. I must admit, we are still more blessed than most and I thank God that Ian had such a close relationship with them.

Ian was recognized as one of the "top sellers" for the HA magazine sale. Thank you to all who helped him out. He approached a few more people this year and is so proud of himself. It make me feel really godd when he has a moment to shine at his school.

We are missing Beckie but are really enjoying her posts. I must admit that I have already used her new mantra several times, "think about your panties before midnight." That is going to become a classic along with "no gappage, no crackage, no cleavage."

3 Comments:

Blogger Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

found your blog through your comment on tammie's blog...just thought i'd say hi and give you the link to our family blog. we're living in france right now for language school and will be moving to togo in january.
-april 'gillespie' emerson

6:15 AM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger DCT said...

I don't respond often and have mentioned my blog to noone but use blogs to keep up with everyone. I have been following you through Albertville and have viewed your apartment. I am so glad that things are going well. You are in such a beautiful part of the world. Maybe the residents will learn to see God in all the beauty that surrounds them. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

7:03 AM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Tammie's Thoughts said...

Dan,
I didn't realize (dummy me) that you had a blog...i do now and I will be reading it! I think you are doing the right thing for Ian on grandparents day. It would be very hard for him to be at school all alone and you're being there with him helps him remember the wonderful grandparents he had/has even though they can't be with him now. It was so good to see you last week! I miss Beckie, too!

4:50 PM, October 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home