an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Only in London!

Last night we decided to go walking along the Thames. I wanted to try to get some night shots of London. The only thing missing was the fog. It seemed safe enough since there were many people out walking and we got some wonderful shots of the London Eye, Parliament Building and Star Wars Storm Troopers guarding the London Eye. (Actually, there is a Star Wars exhibit at the County Museum right next to the London Eye. It's a little eerie to see a group of storm troopers standing along the walkway.) I think we will head back when the fog is out.

Today we headed to the Wembley Church of Christ. I must say that I have seldom attended a congregation as welcoming as this one. I have certainly never attended such an international congregation before. On November 11, they are having an International Sunday and potluck. Everyone is supposed to wear their native dress and bring a dish representing native foods. It should be interesting. Fortunately, I will get to attend before heading to Boston for my meeting the next day.

After Church we headed back to Great Russell Street to change before heading to the Pearly Kings and Queens Harvest Festival and St. Martins in the Fields. St. Martins has been undergoing restoration and will not be finished until Spring 2008. However, the Crypt and the sanctuary opened October 1 so we at least get to participate in activities inside while we are here. The Pearly Festival included a nice service of Thanksgiving and there were many of the Kings and Queens present. Of course, I got Ian to pose with a couple. There is supposed to be a big Pearly Thanksgiving Festival at St. Pauls Church in Covent Gardens. We will probably take that one in as well.

For those who have asked, we are indeed having classes. That, after all, is why we have come. I just don't mention those because they are not as fun as the adventures. I teach from 16:00-19:00 (4:00-7:00) on Sundays and from 8:00-11:30 on Wednesdays. Patricia Cox and Jacqueline Dillion have classes that go from 8:00-12:30 on Mondays and Thursdays. On Tuesdays we travel away from London by coach (they don't like you to call them buses) to some distant location. Friday and Saturday are usually free days to explore London or some out lying places of interest. We really have packed every second of the week so that we see everything we can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home