an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Making Progress

We are here in Zambia to work with the children at the Haven. We are fairly rigid in our schedule and provide three hours of therapy each morning and one hour and forty-five minutes of therapy each afternoon. This puts us in contact with the children as long as we can possibly work with them each day. After several days of work, we are beginning to see results. Some of the kiddos are eating more and Kritz (my special spectrum child) imitated three words today. He and Ian have a special bond and he smiles and waves at Ian but doesn't open up to many others. We hope weeks of intensive work will help him and the others along.

Beckie, Ian and I made an early morning rush to the little market in Kalomo this morning. It is run by an Indian couple who have always been very kind to us. They always slip Ian a "sweet" while we are there. I will try to connect a photo to show the interior. I described it to my Mom and she said it reminded her of the little community stores in the States during the 1930's. She reminded me that her parents had run one and she worked in it. It put things back into perspective.

Thursday lunch is our Zambian food day. Here is a typical Zambian meal of nshima and relish. The nshima is ground corn and the relish is anything else that may come with it. Today we had this sauce with cabbage, rice, and chicken, along with a cabbage slaw. It is really OK and most of the students were impressed. I think they probably prefer hamburgers however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home