an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Remembered Dreams

It's early on a Sunday morning and I'm the only one up. Mom's house is quiet as I sit here in the "garden room." I'm looking around and remembering dreams that my mom and dad shared as they built this place. I can see the cabin where they lived while working on this house and garden. It was a grand adventure for both as they searched for rocks to use for the house. They worked on everything together and, except for some traveling Dad had to do for work, were never separated. They designed the house, and ordered fixtures, etc. long before they were ready to put them in. I helped occasionally, but it was always just the two of them. They had been working on it for 30+ years when Dad died. A step here, a door there. It never seemed a priority, but just an ongoing part of their adventure. When he was "slowing down" due to lung cancer (we later learned) I just assumed the house would never be finished. 

When Dad died in 2004, I just assumed that Mom would need tomive into a retirement home, but that was not to be. Mom hired individuals to finish what she and Dad had planned. She became a contractor for this house and did an amazing job. She only made one change. She had this "garden room" added. It was a brilliant addition. 

Excuse the interruption! There was just a huge crash from our bedroom. Keri had fallen out of her bed and hit her head on a shelf. There was blood everywhere but I don't think there was anything serious. I need to get a bed rail. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home