an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Oxford (6/29-7/1/2017)

I just needed to get away so I decided to head to Oxford. I asked Ian if he wanted to go and he said yes. There was no real purpose and we drove over and got a hotel for a couple of nights. I have enjoyed my time with Ian, although he slept all the way from Searcy to Oxford. I was able to tell some Keri stories and revisit some of our old haunts. We ate breakfast at Bottle Tree Bakery, then went to Oxford Square Books. I bought Ian a couple of books and then got him a hat at Neilsons. We tried eating at The Soul Kitchen but the lady at the window said the only thing they had left was chicken strips. It was only 12:30. I think she was just lazy. I showed Ian where his mother and I had last eaten there and got a little emotional. We found Rebel BBQ and had a great rack of ribs and some tamales. We ran into Gloria Kellum while walking around campus and I promised to call her at "4:30" but discovered I didn't have her phone number. I drove to her house and discovered that Jerry is having some difficulties. I left my number for Gloria but haven't heard. We'll head back over in a minute. 

Gloria called. We went to the house at 8:00 for a visit and some dessert. It was a wonderful visit. I told a Keri story or two and she told some of her memories. Ian was attentive and seemed to have a good time. When we left, we met up with Luke, a friend of Ian's from Searcy. His family are all going to a lake in Alabama and invited Ian. I thought they were going to head down tomorrow but they have already headed out. I'm here alone. But we had a good day. It was just what I needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home