an arch wherethro'

"I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro' gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."
Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

Friday, May 11, 2018

Professor Emeritus?


My wonderful colleagues presented me with a quilt pieced with chitenge (sections of African waxed cotton fabric) which I have brought back from Zambia through the years). Beckie came to my office and asked if I would be upset if some of my chitenges disappeared and returned in another form. Thus the extra long, two-sided quilt presented at tthe end of the year party. Katherine Boone pieced the quilt. It was a wonderful retirement gift. It is also an excellent way to begin my posts as I return to Zambia for a short time next week. I am only staying for two and a half weeks as I transition Tim into the director's position. He is totally capable and has completed organized this trip but I am tagging along for moral support.

Welcome to my new life as a retired professor from Harding University. Of course it hasn't officially started yet, but I now understand exactly what is meant by the term "lame duck." I have always tried to include all stakeholders in any decision that I have made, but I'm discovering that I no longer have a seat at the table. All I can say is, "please don't ask me to work on something in which you have no inttentionof giving me a say." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home